Katie B. Johnson
Katie B. Johnson
Katie Johnson focuses her practice on defense of first and third party insurance claims, insurance bad faith, premises liability, and products liability.
Katie has litigated cases in both state and federal court in Colorado and has defended clients in jury trials, bench trials, and arbitration. She has defended and pursued appeals before the Colorado Court of Appeals, the Colorado Supreme Court, and the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals, and has contributed to amicus curiae briefing before the Colorado Supreme Court.
Katie’s pro bono work includes civil rights action prosecution in federal court. While in law school, Katie served as Managing Editor of Notes & Comments for the DePaul Law Review.
- Representative Practice
- Published Opinions
- Honors & Distinctions
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of retail client in premises liability action arguing the lack of medical causation evidence for any injury claimed by the plaintiff.
- Obtained dismissal of insurance bad faith appeal in which the Colorado Court of Appeals affirmed judgment for insurer, holding that the trial court did not abuse its discretion by excluding the testimony of the plaintiff’s proffered bad faith expert.
- Contributed to the Brief of Amicus Curiae Colorado Defense Lawyers Association, arguing that the lower courts erred in relying on extrinsic evidence to find ambiguity in an insurance contract. In agreement, the Colorado Supreme Court issued its opinion in Hansen v. American Family.
- Successfully moved to dismiss all claims, including civil conspiracy, negligence, and wrongful death, against retail client in United States District Court.
- Obtained defense verdicts for retail clients in premises liability cases.
- Obtained defense verdict for insurer client in breach of insurance contract and statutory unreasonable delay/denial action.
- Obtained defense verdict in arbitration of insurance claim involving underinsured-motorist benefits.
- Prevailed on summary judgment in favor of Fortune 500 client on Colorado Consumer Protection Act and negligence claims.
- Exposed insured’s factual misrepresentation resulting in dismissal of breach of insurance contract and statutory unreasonable delay/denial action.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of insurer in commercial general liability insurance coverage dispute.
- Co-authored briefing in successful appeal to the Colorado Court of Appeals resulting in reversal of bad faith judgment against insurer.
- Obtained small claims defense verdicts for retail clients.
- B.A.s, Pepperdine University, magna cum laude
- J.D., DePaul University College of Law, summa cum laude
- United States District Court, District of Colorado
- United States Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- Colorado Bar Association
- Colorado Defense Lawyers Association
- Faculty of Federal Advocates
- Calderon v. American Family Mut. Ins. Co., 383 P.3d 676 (Colo. 2016).
- American Family Mut. Ins. Co. v. Hansen, 375 P.3d 115 (Colo. 2016) on behalf of Amicus Colorado Defense Lawyer’s Association.
- Selected to the 2018 Colorado Super Lawyers Rising Star List
4949 S. Syracuse Street
Denver, Colorado 80237