Jacquelyn S. Booker
Jacquelyn S. Booker
Jacquelyn S. Booker provides peace of mind. She has defended corporate and individual clients in personal injury and property damage cases her entire career. She has conducted over 20 jury trials and argued cases in front of the Colorado Court of Appeals and Colorado Supreme Court.
She grew up in St. Clair Shores, Michigan and Slidell, Louisiana and was of the first generation in her family to earn a college degree. She attended Louisiana State University on a full academic scholarship, graduated with honors and moved to Colorado to attend the University of Denver College of Law. She gained real world experience representing clients in the Student Law Office and graduated fourth in her law school class.
- Discovered prior automobile accident and litigation in which claimant in slip and fall case had claimed similar injuries and misrepresented prior history under oath resulting in favorable settlement to retail client.
- Prevailed on a number of pretrial motions in a high exposure insurance bad faith case, leading to a favorable settlement for the client. The Court’s rulings excluded most of the Plaintiff’s bad faith expert’s opinions, the policy limits, evidence about plaintiff’s reasonable expectations when purchasing coverage, reserves, and speculative future lost wages.
- Argued in her contributions to the Brief of Amicus Curiae Colorado Defense Lawyers Association, the position that the lower courts erred in relying on extrinsic evidence to find ambiguity in an insurance contract. In agreement, the Colorado Supreme Court issued its opinion in Hansen v. American Family.
- Successfully defended a Rule 702 challenge to a client’s accident reconstruction/biomechanical expert in federal district court.
- Successfully moved to strike an opposing party’s experts which were untimely designated in federal district court, resulting in a favorable settlement of high exposure insurance bad faith case.
- Obtained a defense verdict for insurer in Pueblo County, prevailing on claims for breach of contract, bad faith, and unreasonable delay/denial of benefits under C.R.S. § 10-3-1115/1116.
- Authored appellate briefing resulting in Court of Appeals upholding trial court’s dismissal of case against insurer on summary judgment and defeating the plaintiff/appellant’s claim for costs.
- Prevailed on summary judgment on claims of insurance bad faith and statutory unreasonable delay/denial in underinsured motorist benefit case involving multiple accidents and debatable injuries.
- Provided oral argument before Colorado Court of Appeals resulting in clarification of unsettled law involving inclusion of lien/subrogation language in statutory offers of settlement.
- Obtained defense verdict for individual clients in auto accident jury trials.
- Defeated claims against insurance clients for punitive damages.
- Uncovered opposing party’s false representations resulting in dismissal of case against insurer in underinsured motorist coverage claim.
- Obtained dismissal as sanction against opposing party in bodily injury case for opposing party’s misrepresentations under oath in discovery.
- Obtained defense verdict in favor of insurance company at trial on claims of breach of contract and unreasonable delay/denial of benefits under C.R.S. § 10-3-1115/1116.
- B.A., Louisiana State University
- J.D., University of Denver College of Law
- United States District Court, District of Colorado
- National Association of Professional Women
- Denver Claims Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- Arapahoe Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Colorado Defense Lawyers Association
- National Association of Women Lawyers
- Defense Research Institute
- DeAvila v. Estate of DeHerrera, 75 P.3d 1144 (Colo. App. 2003)
- Strunk v. Goldberg, 258 P.3d 334 (Colo. App. 2011)
- Calderon v. American Family Mut. Ins. Co., 383 P.3d 676 (Colo. 2016).
- American Family Mut. Ins. Co. v. Hansen, 375 P.3d 115 (Colo. 2016) on behalf of Amicus Colorado Defense Lawyer’s Association.
© Sutton Booker P.C.
4949 S. Syracuse Street
Denver, Colorado 80237